A fixed blade knife is one of the ultimate utilitarian tools to have on hand and are the ideal type of blade for sportsmen who need something reliable, durable and fail-proof on their next outing or adventure.
Below we highlight the leading “best in class” fixed blades on the market today.
In a Hurry? Check Out Our Top 5 Picks
Best Fixed Blade Knives Review in 2020
1. Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Knife
Morakniv has a long history in the knife business, having built a reputation on manufacturing blades of the highest quality. Based out of Sweden, hunters and sportsmen alike have trusted Morakniv to deliver on the goods since 1891.Check Latest Price
- Engineered to be both versatile and effective at food prep, carving and cutting tinder
- Generous 4.1-inch blade
- Overall length of 8.6 inches
- Swedish-designed blade maintains its razor-sharp edge
- Stainless steel is highly resistant to rust and wear
- Unique high friction grip provides enhanced control and greater safety
- Includes color-matched sheath and versatile belt clip
- Generous lifetime warranty
What We Like?
Unbeatable Edge Performance – Made from the highest quality Swedish Sandvik 12C27 steel, this blade is virtually guaranteed to maintain its edge over time, while its HRC 56-58 hardness rating speaks volumes to the type of durability and resistance to wear you can expect.
Resistant to Corrosion – For most of us, our knives take a lot of abuse. They get tossed around and used outside rain or shine. If you plan on using your blade under harsh conditions, you can’t beat high-quality stainless steel when it comes to corrosion resistance.
Ergonomic Grip – This blade’s uniquely patterned handle creates a high friction grip that performs well in both hot and cold temperatures, allowing you to apply adequate force without sacrificing safety.
Color Matched Sheath – The blade comes with a color-matching sheath that effectively keeps the knife safely secured when not in use, and discreetly attached to your pack or belt easily accessible for use.
Basic, all-purpose design makes this blade good for general everyday use, food preparation, and when camping. However, this knife is not ideal for tactical situations or those requiring hard use such as impact needed for chopping.
2. KA-BAR Full Size US Marine Corps Fighting Knife, Straight
No list would be complete with at least one KA-BAR model making the cut. Since 1898 KA-BAR has been manufacturing tactical blades that have stood the test of time. This brand is often favored by ex-police, military and avid outdoorsmen. They are known for producing blades that are durable, strong, and razor-sharp right out of the box.
- Genuine leather sheath
- Made from durable 1095 Cro-van steel
- Edge angles positioned at 20 degrees
- 7” overall blade length
- Overall length a sturdy 11.875”
- Known as the USMC Fighting Knife (United States Marine Corps)
- Leather handle
- Blade made in the USA
What We Like?
Impressive Presentation – The KA-BAR is one of the most iconic fixed blade knives in history, known for its use by the United States Marine Corps. This particular blade features an immaculate gold-pated brass guard and pommel, making it an eye-stunning display perfect for a gift or commemoration.
Tactical, Durable and Versatile – There is a reason why the KA-BAR is an oft-preferred fixed blade by those in law enforcement and military. Its sturdy design, optimal ergonomics, and edge retention are just a few of the reasons why this blade has made our list.
Included Leather Sheath – Keep your blade safe and secure when not in use, extending its lifespan and preventing injury with the included genuine leather sheath.
Designed for the USMC, this knife is ideal for combat and survival situations where size matters. Due to its length and weight, this knife is not a good option for everyday carry and use.
3. Buck Knives 119 Special Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath
Bucks Knives is an well-recognized, iconic brand among blade enthusiasts. Since 1902 this company has been producing some of the world’s finest fixed blades, earning a reputation as one of the leaders in the market.
Their claim to fame has largely been driven by the unique heat-treating process pioneered by industry legend Paul Bos. With each individual blade put to the test, these knives are guaranteed to stand up to anything you can throw at them.
- Ergonomic grip and impeccable balance
- Razor-sharp edge made from durable 420HC steel
- Blade design is perfect for cutting in tight places, detail work, and piercing
- Genuine leather protective case included
- Made in the USA
What We Like?
Forever Warranty – If there is one thing you can count on with Buck Knives, its that they stand behind the quality and durability of their product. Their unique “forever warranty” means that you’ll be able to enjoy this tool for a lifetime, and can even pass it down to your children when the time comes.
Exclusive Heat Treat Process – Not all steel is created equal. Buck Knives is made from 420HC steel that is put through a proprietary heat treat process unique to Buck Knives. This process results in a knife that is superiorly sharp, strong and durable.
Crescent Tip Design for Enhanced Usability – Sporting an expertly designed curved crescent tip allows for a thinner, sharper blade, ideal for detail work.
This knife’s hallmark feature is its “forever” warranty, making it a great heirloom that can be passed down from grandfather to father to son and onto the next generations. It is highly capable and very well balanced, while also having a visual style and elegance that is appealing to many.
4. Gerber LMF II Survival Knife, Black [22-01629]
The LMF II Survival Knife was designed with survival in mind. It’s purpose-driven design was conceptualized out of a need to free aircrew men and women from downed aircrafts, sporting a razor-sharp cutting edge, serrated lower blade, and a spiked butt capable of smashing through glass or other objects.
Adaptable to virtually any scenario, this well-constructed, ergonomic 10” fixed blade has everything you could ask for. Versatility, safety and comfort when you need it most.
- 10.59” overall length (4.84” blade)
- Field-tested with American Military Troops
- Engineered in partnership with the United States Military
- Crafted from durable, corrosion-resistant 420HC stainless steel
- Ergonomic handle
- Ballistic sheath with fire retardant coating
- Built-in blade sharpener
- Made in the USA
- Lifetime Warranty
What We Like?
Rugged and Versatile – The Gerber LMF II Survival Knife was engineered to “get the job done” no matter what. It is a true survival tool field-tested and approved by the US Military. It’s razor-sharp edge, serrated blade section, angled butt cap and ergonomic design uniquely come together to create a truly capable blade.
Safety and Protection – This blade features a unique break between the tang and the butt cap, insulating the user from any shock caused by cutting wires, while the ballistic sheath provides superior protection and is both durable and fire retardant.
Moderate size and ergonomic design make this a great overall blade. The non-slip grip is perfect for damp and wet conditions, and the serrated edge make it ideal for cutting through touch material.
This well-rounded blade provides a perfect balance of form and function and is versatile enough to handle a variety of situations.
5. Buck Knives 124 Frontiersman Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath
Making our list a second time, Buck Knives comes out the gate swinging once again. Few brands are as iconic as Buck Knives, known for a tradition of excellence, performance and durability.
The 124 Frontiersman carries on the longstanding tradition, offering superior capability, unmatched durability, and performance that is impervious to conditions. As a market leader in edge retention, the 124 Frontiersman is always up for the challenge.
- Razor sharp blade right out of the box
- Straight-back bowie design
- Crafted from high quality 420HC steel
- Full-tang construction
- Integrated finger guard
- Black micarta handle offers superior grip
- Genuine leather sheath included
- Integrated belt loop for ease of securing
- Made in the USA
- Industry-leading “forever warranty”
What We Like?
Unbeatable Edge Retention and Hardness – Bucks Knives utilizes a proprietary heat treatment process created by Paul Bos, an industry visionary who reshaped the way we think about making blades. The net result of this process is a superiorly hardened and sharpened blade that provides impressive edge retention and lifespan.
Forever Warranty – You can’t talk about Bucks Knives without mentioning their time-tested, industry-leading warranty. Few knife makers are willing to put their money on the line, but Bucks does just that, standing proudly and confidently behind each of their blades (for a lifetime), including the 124 Frontiersman.
Utilizing the “bos” heat treatment method, this knife is known for its durability, making it great for those who intend on regularly putting it to use. Its size is somewhat large, making it generally not ideal for every day carrying around, but still quite manageable on the trail.
6. KA-BAR Becker BK2 Companion Fixed Blade Knife
Name look familiar? It should. Even if you didn’t read our other KA-BAR review you no doubt have heard of this iconic name in blades. With the KA-BAR Becker BK2 Companion we take a slight detour from the brand’s more tactical approach to knives.
This particular blade is the perfect companion for those who spend time in the field, camping or hunting. Its unique design makes it ideal for splitting kindling, food preparation, or skinning wild game.
- Heavy duty full tang design
- Made in the USA
- Designed by Ethan Becker of Becker Knife and Tool Corporation
- Comes with a secure hard sheath with pressure release
What We Like?
Versatility – Ethan Becker has been designing top quality knives since the 1980s, lending his deep industry insights into this blade’s setup. Because of this, the Becker BK2 Companion is a well-rounded blade, highly capable of performing in a wide range of scenarios and applications, making it an ideal companion for those who participate in various outdoor or field activities.
This multi-purpose knife is best suited for field work, camping and hunting. Its size makes it too large for every day carry, but not so large that it is a nuisance in the woods or on the trail. Although it doesn’t feature a serrated edge for cutting, its full tang design makes it sturdy and highly capable of field dressing game and chopping kindling.
7. ESEE Knives 6P Fixed Blade Knife w/Molded Polymer Sheath
Taking inspiration from the best features that make survival and bush knives reliable and functional, the ESEE Knives crafted the 6P to be an all-around blade that is ideal for a wider range of use cases.
As far as balance goes, the 6P hits the mark, offering a generous 5.75” cutting edge and 3/16” thick blade. Its razor-sharp edge is sharpened to a 20-degree angle and offers enough delicacy to handle intricate tasks as well as heavier duty action.
Its drop-point blade makes the 6P a perfect companion for all-purpose cutting, precise incisions, field dressing, general woodcraft and more.
- 5.75” 1095HC steel blade
- Durable high grip micarta handle
- Drop point blade design
- Included polymer black sheath
What We Like?
Adaptability and Versatility – A hallmark of the 6P is its well-rounded design, making it a favorite for general-purpose hunting, fishing, trail and field work. Its size makes it compact enough to tote around, while large enough to tackle moderately difficult tasks.
This blade’s unique curvature, balance, weight and size make it an ideal companion for those who deal with brush or who may need to chop or cut wood, making it a favorite around campsites and on adventurous hikes.
8. Kershaw Camp 10 (1077), Fixed Blade Camp Knife, 10-inch 65Mn Carbon Tool Steel, Basic Black Powdercoat
The Kershaw Camp 10 (1077) was developed to take on the challenges of the great outdoors, with its impressively sized carbon tool steel blade capable of taking use and abuse for years to come.
Engineered for “hard use”, this large fixed blade sports a durable black powder coat, enhancing its ability to withstand impact as well as prevent corrosion under damp conditions. The large blade is highly suitable for stripping and splitting wood, hacking through brush, and more.
The custom-molded sheath incorporates ideally placed lashing points and durable nylon straps for ease of attachment to ATVs, saddles, or backpacks. Blaze new trails and hit the backwoods with the confidence of having a blade that is up to the task.
- Full-tang handle
- Rubber overmold
- Dual lanyard holds
- Included molded sheath
- Blade crafted from 65mn high performance carbon steel
- Powder-coated blade
- Textured rubber non-slip grip
- Impressively large 10” blade
What We Like?
Size and Capability – With a blade measuring a monstrous 10”, this fixed blade ranks among one of the largest on our list, making it a force to be reckoned with. Its size makes it the ideal companion for hiking through thick brush, clearing campsites, splitting, peeling or chopping kindling for fires, and more. From personal security and safety, to hunting and dressing big game, this blade is capable of getting the job done right and asking for more.
Made to Take Abuse – The full tang design, coupled with high-performance 65Mn steel provides impressive hardness and strength that is designed to withstand repeated hard impact. This durability extends to the handle, which includes a textured rubber overmold enhancing grip, reducing slipping and preventing corrosion.
This massive blade resembles a small machete and is ideally designed and engineered for deep backwoods treks or bushwhacking. It is most ideal for clearing brush and chopping wood and tinder.
9. Schrade SCHF36 Frontier 10.4in Stainless Steel Full Tang Fixed Blade Knife with 5in Drop Point and TPE Handle
Known for its dedication to quality, craftsmanship, and dependability, the Schrade brand is well known among blade owners. The Schrade SCHF36 Frontier is no exception to this standard, making it a popular option among those who enjoy camping, bushcraft, and other outdoor activities.
This full-tang fixed blade survival knife is tactically engineered and ready for action. Crafted from durable high-carbon steel and powder coated to increase longevity, the Schrade SCHF36 Frontier is up to task of taking on challenges big and small.
- Generous 5” blade length
- Crafted from hardened 1095 high carbon steel
- Powder-coated finish
- Thermoplastic elastomer handle
- Convenient polyester belt sheath
- Integrated ferro rod, sharpening stone
What We Like?
Dependability – This blade is highly dependable, with a full tang construction made from powder-coated 1095 steel. It’s thermoplastic elastomer handle and non-slip grip ensure you can apply proper force and leverage without sacrificing safety, with the knife being easily accessible from an included polyester belt sheath.
Built in Survival Tools – A unique and standout benefit of this particular knife is that it incorporates a built in ferro rod for starting fires and an integrated sharpening stone to ensure your blade is always field or battle ready.
Rugged and ergonomic, with its textured handle and powder coat finish, this blade is ideal for high moisture outdoor use.
10. Gerber StrongArm Fixed BladeCheck Latest Price
Enjoy and have as much fun as you can with combat training or games with this Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade. The blade has been coated with a ceramic to ensure that it lasts longer. The handle has been designed with a diamond texture that has been rubberized to make sure that it is comfortable to hold.
It has a fine edge that makes it sharp and easy to cut through any material. To make it better, you can be able to break hard things easily with the base of the knife. This is possible because the handle has a pommel capable of breaking through anything.
This feature makes it very easy to use the knife even in hard and everyday situations. You will not regret purchasing the knife. The sheath that has a strap together design is a unique one. This is because it can be mounted horizontally, vertically and Drop-leg style for maximum comfort.
- Enabled to break hard material
- Has a great appeal to the eye
- It is comfortable to hold
- It is firm and strong
11. BlizeTec Survival Fixed Blade KnifeCheck Latest Price
This amazing fixed knife is the best you will get when you are choosing a knife for hunting purposes. It has great features that will ensure you get the best hunting experience there is. The knife features a Rambo style which makes the knife ideal for the jungle and able to withstand the roughness experienced during an adventure. By having this knife, hunting and forest activities will be the best thing you will want to indulge yourself in.
The blade is very sharp and has a serrated edge to make sure that slicing through wild meat is easy and by all means effortless. It also has a fire starter for survival and an LED flashlight which is very bright and can last for up to 30 hours. The fire starter is designed to provide up to 12,000 strikes before being out of service.
It is designed with tough stainless steel, this blade is resistant to rusting, and the wood handle made for the blade provides a perfect grip with a non-slip feel. With this hunting knife, no wild meat you intend to slaughter stands a chance and your experience while hunting will be one always to remember.
- The knife has a belt loop pouch for storage
- It is resistant to corrosion
- The knife is very sharp
- The blade is durable
12. Schrade SCH57 Full Fixed Blade KnifeCheck Latest Price
Enjoy a wonderful experience and feel safe with this amazing Schrade SCH57 Full Fixed Blade Knife. Cut through a material with ease and with less effort with this blade. Featuring a strong handle with a G-10 design that has a thumb rest for maximum comfort and use. This makes sure that you can hold the knife firmly at all times.
You never have to worry about storage and carrying this knife anywhere. This is because it has a belt sheath that is a thermoplastic which enables you to carry the blade in multiple ways as you please. This feature also ensures that the sheath is not affected by temperature.
The length of the blade is short which an advantage it is because it makes the knife strong and feels sturdy as you use it. Making it better is that the blade is carbon-steel made ensuring it is strong and lasts long.
- It cuts through material with much ease
- It is easy to clean the blade
- Has a comfortable thumb rest
- Surface of the blade is wide
- The blade is very strong
- Ease of storage
13. Elk Ridge ER-052, Fixed Blade Hunting KnifeCheck Latest Price
Have fun and great accomplishment as you go hunting in the wild with this Elk Ridge ER-052, Fixed Blade Hunting Knife. Beautifully crafted and a sleek design of the blade, this knife is a beauty and will attract the eye from far.
Made from stainless steel, the blade has a straight edge with a hawksbill design. This helps ensure that slicing through wild meat when you kill an animal, is with much ease and effortless to you.
The handle is perfectly designed with a bolster which is silver made and an overlay from pakkawood. This Makes the handle have a comfortable feel to the hands and makes it easier to use the knife even on tough animal skin.
A sheath made from leather makes it easy to carry the knife and helps hang it in multiple positions. The length of the blade is short which makes it more effective as little force is needed to slice through meat and other materials.
- Perfect sheath for safe storage
- Easily used to baton wood
- Appealing to the eye
- Has a very sharp blade
- Slip-free handle
- Resistant to rust
14. Damascus Steel Hunting Knife Damascus Chef knife with sheathCheck Latest Price
A chef is only as good as his knife.
And for this very reason, we introduce you to the Damascus chef knife. Apart from being a superb tool for multitasking, this particular knife also holds a reasonable price tag, which makes it a really intriguing option for many.
As we mentioned earlier, a chef needs precision from his tools. And that is why this particular knife is so effective in the right hands. As for the features, well, it depends on who uses it and how.
First of all, and it is perhaps the most noteworthy feature of this knife, is the fact that it has a really good weight to it. Weight balance, for a chef’s knife, is really crucial. Add it with a superior looking design, and you have a knife with both a sharp edge and a sleek design.
Having an 8-inch footprint with a 4-inch blade may be a bit too much for the ordinary. But it really meets the standards when it comes in the hands of a professional. The genuine Damascus steel (56-58 HRC on the Rockwell scale) paired with full tang design offers superior multitasking, which is not very easy to find these days.
All in all, having a knife with this level of professionalism certainly gives you the upper hand in the kitchen. So, be sure to check it out.
- Genuine Damascus steel blade offers superior cutting and chopping performance.
- Superior usability is there thanks to the careful design implementation.
- Weight balance is decent.
What to Look For in a Fixed Blade Knife – Buying Guide
Buying a knife is easy. Buying the RIGHT knife? That’s another story altogether. Buying the best fixed blade knife for your needs can mean the difference between being well-pre-pared and capable for tackling the challenges ahead, to putting your own life in danger.
But before we dig in, what makes fixed blade knives so appealing?
- Easy to conceal using a wide range of cases and sheathes
- Always ready for immediate use
- Low maintenance with no mechanics or movable parts to contend with
- No chance of failure from components (as compared to folding knives)
- Typically offer longer blade lengths
- Superior for tactical and self-defense use
- Considered a staple “survival”, hunting and camping tool
For these reasons and more, finding the best fixed blade knife is often a top priority for those who enjoy the wonders of the outdoors or for those who value personal protection and defense.
No hunter, outdoorsman or bushman is fully prepared without a proper blade. From food preparation on the homestead or campsite, to clearing brush or field dressing wild game, the right knife can provide safety, security, function and comfort.
This guide will help you further narrow down your selection of fixed blade knives, ensuring that you’ll be equipped with the right tool for the task at hand.
1. What is the Intended Use?
It’s a simple question, we know. Yet because of this, often little thought is put into how the blade might serve you over the years. Investing in a good blade means that you’ll have a capable tool you can depend on for years to come.
Because of this, it is prudent for you to think past your next excursions or upcoming hunting season to determine the ways in which you may intend to use the blade. Certain types of blades will be better-suited for particular uses.
Common Applications Include:
- Personal protection / defense
- Security / tactical
- Fishing – Check out this review article on electric fish filleting knife
- Hiking – We have another article on top 10 hiking knives
- Misc Outdoor activities
The type of activities you intend to use the knife in or for will largely dictate the features that are most important to you when weighing your options.
For example, a small-medium sized blade may not be the most appropriate for bushwhacking and clearing trails, while a larger knife may be inappropriate for carrying on your person for defense and security.
Best Knife by Use Case
- Skinning: Aim for a smaller blade with a deep drop to limit the area of impact and for ease of use in tight spaces. If you are looking for a good quality skinning knife you may check out this article also.
- Slicing: You generally want a knife that is thinner and narrow, between 7-12” in overall length with a slight curvature to assist in guiding around tight spots.
- Everyday Use / Carry: Overall size should be small and compact for increased discretion and portability. A blade ranging from 3-4.5” typically provides a good balance between functionality and size.
- De-Boning: A common task for any true hunter, knives intended for deboning will ideally have blades between 5-7” that are stiff and strong.
- Tactical: Engineered for defense and capable of handling well in a range of settings, these knives may benefit from the discretion of dark colors and compact designs. You’ll want to find one suited to your hand size and grip and is well-balanced, while offering a number of sheathing or holstering options.
2. How Important is Durability to You?
When we talk about durability of a knife, we don’t just mean its lifespan, but also the type of use and abuse you intend to put it through.
Questions you Want to Ask Yourself Include:
- What type of material will I be cutting?
- How frequently will I be using the blade?
- Will I need to use the blade for more delicate or intricate tasks?
- What type of weather conditions will I be exposing the blade to?
- What kind of impact will I be subjecting the blade to?
For example, a drop point blade with a thinner edge may prove quite useful for delicate carving or more intricate measures, but will be less durable and prone to wear and damage with any type of impact.
Those that operate in harsh or damp conditions may appreciate power coatings that go the extra mile in protecting the blade against wear and corrosion, and for those times when impact and hacking are a necessity, the type of hardened steel used can make all the difference in the world.
3. The Mantra “Size Matters” Isn’t Just a Funny Saying when It Comes to Blades
Having the right tool for the job can make all the difference. When it comes to knives, the most important aspect is blade size. Big blades may be flashy and macho, but they aren’t always ideal. The proper size comes down to personal preference, showmanship, and utility. No matter what you end up choosing, comfortability in hand is what paramount.
4. Handle Type and Grip
Speaking of comfortability in hand, the knife’s grip is an important consideration that is on par with that of the blade itself. The right grip should be form-fitting to your hand, providing you with improved mechanics, mobility, and use, while also preventing slippage and ensuring the safety of the user. Look for textured grips with added notching and finger placements.
5. Sheathing Options
The knife’s sheath is an often-overlooked consideration when purchasing fixed blade knives. Not enough can be said about a high-quality sheath. Remember, this is the only thing keeping your knife, and you, protected when not in use. Choosing the right sheath can keep you safe, your blade and edge in top condition, and provide fast and reliable access when you need it most.
Types of Sheaths:
- Leather: durable, reliable and a timeless classic appeal
- Poly / Synthetic: durable, lightweight, available in several styles
- Hard / Carbon / Shell: tactical and reliable these cases can be strapped to and positioned in a variety of ways, from horizontal on the belt to ankle or MOLLE mounted
6. Type of Steel
What you may not know, is that not all steel is created equally. Various chemistries and molecular makeup, as well as treatment processes during the manufacturing of a blade, all contribute to the tensile strength, corrosion resistance, toughness/hardness and durability of a knife.
Common Types of Blade Steel:
- 12C27 – Strong. Highly resistant to corrosion. Maintains an edge well. Of Swedish origin.
- 1095 Cro-Van Steel – Hardness rating of 56-60. Solid edge retention. Easy to sharpen. Great for everyday abuse. Lower resistance to corrosion.
- 420HC Steel – Moderate hardness rating averaging 55. Easy to sharpen. Moderate resistance to corrosion. Great for daily use.
- 1095 HC Steel – Moderate toughness and durability. More prone to rust if not properly kept and oiled. Considered a more “brittle” steel, not ideal for hard impact.
Final Words – Wrapping it up
Knives date back to the stone age, with man (and women) quickly coming to realize the importance of these instruments for survival. Today, the modern “man” uses knives in a broad range of applications and activities, ranging from hunting and fishing, to food preparation and even self-defense.
The knives in this guide represent some of the best blades on the market, from tactical combat blades to survival knives for the outdoorsman. We hope that you enjoyed our breakdown and that you feel more confident than ever in making the right decision for your next adventure.