Whittling is a simple form of wood carving. It involves shaving off slivers of wood using a pocket knife to make beautiful sculptures. For many, it’s a fun way to pass the time, while for others, it’s a serious artform.
However, choosing a good whittling knife can get a bit complicated since you need to consider several key factors, such as the grip, the edge, and the size of the blade. Also, what’s ideal for others may not work for you. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll help you find the best whittling knife for your needs.
10 Best Whittling Knives and Wood Carving Set to Buy in 2020
1. Flexcut Whittlin’ Jack (JKN88)
Whether you’re a hobbyist or a professional carver, you won’t be disappointed with this whittling knife. Slightly larger than an ordinary carving tool, it’s super sharp and easy to use. It also features a two-bladed design that makes whittling easier and more enjoyable.
One of the blades is a 1.5-inch detail knife that lets you work on wood with precision and control. The other is a roughing knife, which is slightly thicker and longer at 2 inches. Overall, this knife is excellent for whittling and chiseling out chunks of wood quickly.
Each blade is made from durable, non-corrosive high carbon steel. They can hold their edge for a long time and can be easily sharpened when they become dull.
When these steel blades are folded into the handle, the knife’s overall length is only 4 inches. It will fit perfectly into your pocket, and at 3 ounces, you’ll hardly notice it’s in there. With its clever design and portability, this is the best whittling knife for woodcarving while camping.
- The blade of this whittling knife is pre-sharpened right out of the box.
- The handle is slightly contoured for a comfortable grip.
- The aluminum handle features a wood inlay, which adds to this knife’s sturdiness while giving it a rustic look.
2. Old Timer 24OT Splinter Carvin’ 6-Inch Traditional Folding Whittling Knife
Old Timer has a reputation for crafting high-quality and dependable whittling knives. These tools are designed and built to be passed down from generation to generation. This traditional folding knife is a fine example of the company’s exceptional craftsmanship.
A versatile whittling knife, this product packs so much in its small frame. It features six carbon steel carving tools: a detail knife, a straight gouge, a hook blade, a V-scorp blade, a gouge scorp, and a chisel blade.
This product has everything you need, whether you’re doing some serious carving or simply whittling on a whim. The blade is made of 65Mn high carbon steel, which means it’s durable and can retain it’s edge exceptionally well.
But compared to the Whittlin’ Jack, the blade isn’t as sharp right out of the box. You might want to hone it a bit before using it for the first time.
Overall, this item measures only 6 inches in length and weighs 3.9 ounces, while the detail blade is only 1. 5 inches long. These are just the right dimensions if you’re looking for a multi-tool knife for the great outdoors and everyday carry.
- The heat-treated back springs ensure that each blade remains secure and will not slip.
- The saw cut handle provides a good holding grip.
- This whittling knife comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
3. Morakniv Wood Carving Knife 120 With Laminated Steel Blade, 2.4-Inch
Morakniv is a Swedish knife manufacturer that has been in the industry since 1891. With more than 100 years of experience, they have their tool-making techniques down to a science. This product is one proof of that.
For its price point, this carving knife provides you with a 2-for-1 advantage. It features a narrow blade with a pointed tip that’s best for both roughing and detail work.
The blade is sharpened to cut through wood like butter while the spine is thick enough for your pushing thumb. Its clever design makes carving a satisfying experience.
The laminated blade is made of high-carbon steel layers, creating a nice balance between optimum edge retention and ease of sharpening. It’s also highly resistant to rust and corrosion, which means it requires minimal maintenance. The full tang construction also adds to the pocket knife’s durability.
Compared to the above-mentioned Old Timer and Flexcut whittling knives, this carving tool is not foldable. It’s also a bit longer at 9 inches. But it’s as efficient and easy to use even when making fine and detailed cuts. Its blade is great for shaving away thin layers of wood while giving you more control of your work.
- The oiled birchwood handle is ergonomically designed for a comfortable grip while you’re whittling.
- This whittling knife comes with a plastic sheath for the blade’s protection.
- The 2.4-inch blade is sharp right out of the package.
4. Flexcut Carving Knives, Starter Set of 3
This starter set is best for you if you want to use different knives for carving. It includes three types of knives (cutting, detail, and roughing) with blades that are made of high-carbon steel.
The cutting knife is a general-purpose 1-1/8-inch carving blade. It has a durable rounded point that can withstand hours of carving sessions – because of this increased durability, it’s perfect for hobbyists and experienced whittlers.
The detail knife has an extremely fine point, which is great for making very narrow and detailed cuts. Its straight 1-1/2-inch blade can handle larger chunk removal if needed. You can also use it for cleanups.
The roughing knife features a 2-inch blade with a rounded point. It’s the best tool for taking out heavier stocks of wood, since it’s the thickest and most durable among the three.
Made with the same hardened steel as Flexcut’s gouges and chisels, each blade is durable and holds its edge very well. You can maintain its sharpness with some quick stropping before and after use.
- Each pocket knife is fitted with an ergonomic ash wood handle that feels comfortable on the hand.
- All three whittling knives are sharpened and ready to use right out of the box.
- The package includes a sharpening compound to help keep your whittling knife’s blade sharp.
5. Flexcut Palm Set of 9 (FR405)
If you’re serious about getting into the woodcarving life and want to take your whittling skills to the next level, investing in this toolset would be a great idea. This Flexcut Palm Set brings nine carving tools in one affordable and convenient package.
The set includes six gouges of different sizes along with two 70-degree V-tools and a skew chisel: which is just about everything you need to start your carving hobby.
Each whittling tool features hand-sharpened carbon steel blades, all precision-machined and triple heated for enhanced edge retention. You can use them for small and large woodworking projects without sharpening the blades every now and then.
Quality and affordability rarely mix when it comes to woodworking instruments. Either an item is top-rated yet too expensive or less pricey yet substandard. But this whittling set definitely provides great value for your money. Whether you’re a hobbyist or professional carver, this set is a practical addition to your tool collection.
- The ash hardwood handles are designed to fit comfortably on the hand to avoid fatigue, perfect for long hours of carving.
- The flexible, razor-sharp carbon steel blades provide optimum control and ease of cutting.
- The toolset comes in a custom wooden storage box.
6. Morakniv Wood Carving 106 Knife with Laminated Steel Blade, 3.2-Inch, M-106-1630
Compared to the Morakniv Wood Carving Knife 120, this whittling tool features a longer blade designed for more generous cuts. It also has a pointed tip that makes it ideal for detailing work.
The blade’s grind is perfect for heavy-duty woodworking since there’s no relief edge aside from the main grind. This helps make very precise cuts possible, and with little unintended drift at that.
Made of laminated steel, the blade offers an excellent combination of superior toughness and edge retention. Whether you’re doing some fine carvings or heavy-duty roughing, it can stay sharp even after hours of use.
The full tang, which runs the handle’s full length, adds to the whittling knife’s strength and stability. It allows for better control and flexibility, whether you’re carving a spoon or a large bowl.
With its relatively lower price tag, this pocket knife is the ideal carving tool for beginners. Experienced carvers can also benefit from using this carbon steel blade.
- The laminated steel blade is pre-sharpened and ready to use right out of the package.
- The oiled birch wood handle allows for a safe and comfortable grip.
- As with most Morakniv whittling knives, this item comes with a plastic belt sheath.
7. BeaverCraft Sloyd Knife C4s 3.14-Inch Wood Carving Sloyd Knife
An all-purpose carving tool, this product is just as good as the Morakniv wood carving knife but at half the price. The blade is sharpened to a fine point, making it ideal for detailed carving.
If you love camping or spending time whittling in the woods, you’ll appreciate this knife for its superior versatility. The blade is sharp enough to make smooth cuts on softwoods like pine, cedar, and redwood. It can also slice nicely through most types of hardwood, such as oak, tupelo, basswood or walnut.
If you’re a beginner, you’ll find this knife useful in improving your detailing skills, especially when working on tight areas. The slightly curved blade also makes it ideal for taking on whittling and roughing tasks.
Considering its price, this knife is an excellent gift for those just getting into whittling. Its built and sharpness are comparable to more expensive brands, making it one of the best beginner wood carving knives out there.
- The high-carbon steel blade is hardened for proper firmness and sharpened to be used for whittling right out of the box.
- The ergonomic handle is crafted from hardwood oak and with a linseed oil finish.
- This whittling knife includes a genuine leather sheath.
8. Opinel No6 Stainless Steel Folding Pocket Knife – Premium Wood Handles
If you’re looking for a practical backpacking knife at an affordable price, this folding knife is for you. It’s best for common campsite tasks, such as splitting kindling and whittling tent stakes.
Lightweight, compact, and easy to use; this well-crafted whittling knife is also great as an everyday carry. You can use it for a variety of tasks, from opening boxes to sharpening a pencil. It’s small enough to fit in your pocket yet large enough for a solid and comfortable grip.
Made of a modified stainless steel blade, this knife has an excellent cutting edge and superior corrosion resistance. It may be low-priced, but it doesn’t mean it’s cheap, considering that Opinel knives are known for their exceptional quality and craftsmanship.
- The slim, ergonomic handle is made from Bubinga wood, which is known for its superior stability, humidity resistance, and natural durability.
- This folding knife is equipped with a safety ring, a locking mechanism that keeps the blade in place when in use, during transport, or while in storage.
- The blade is stamped with the Crowned Hand insignia for authenticity.
9. Gimars Upgrade 12 Set SK5 Wood Carving Tool Kit
A great starter kit for novice carvers, this wood carving package comes with 12 different easy-to-use items – each one has its own unique purpose. The kit includes gouges of various sizes along with parting and pinpoint tools. It also features narrow straight, wide straight, rounded, and four-angled chisels.
Made from SK5 carbon steel, each blade is highly durable and can withstand constant use. Whether you’re carving bowls, spoons or creating stencils, you can count on them to see through the job until completion – all without losing much of their edge.
These whittling products make it easy for beginning hobbyists to hone their skills. The blade’s narrow-angle allows the blade to slide into wood effortlessly, which allows for complete control of the carving process.
If you’re thinking of working on other materials, you don’t need to purchase separate instruments. Aside from wood, these tools can also be used on clay, linoleum, and soapstone.
- The extended length of the wooden handles allows for a comfortable grip.
- The blades have an electrolytic coating for enhanced rust resistance.
- Each tool comes with plastic caps for safety.
10. BeaverCraft Wood Carving Hook Knife SK1 (Right-Handed Hook Knife)
This tool from BeaverCraft is specially designed for carving concave shapes. With its U-shaped, single-edged, carbon-steel blade, you can make quick work on both softwood and hardwood, including oak and walnut.
This carving knife is perfectly shaped for smooth rounded cuts, in fact, customers say that using it feels like scooping ice cream from the tub. This sophisticated design makes it ideal for making spoons and hollowing out bowls.
This knife is an affordable purchase for beginners – it’s also great for professional carvers who’re looking for an inexpensive replacement for their old hook knife.
- The ergonomic handle is made of oak and processed with natural linseed oil.
- Sharpened to its maximum point, this knife is ready for woodworking tasks right out of the box.
- The curved blade is also great for making kuksas, bowls, cups, and concave items.
One cool thing about whittling is that it can be done anywhere. This means that your blade shouldn’t just be sharp and durable, but also portable. Those qualities make the Flexcut Whittlin’ Jack our favorite. It’s lightweight, reliable, and easy to use. A close second is the Old Timer 24OT, which also works as a multi-tool everyday carry.
All carving and whittling knives have their own special qualities – but for our money, these two are a cut above the rest.