Shucking oysters requires plenty of practice and excellent handling! Thankfully, using the best oyster knife makes this complicated process a lot easier. Here’s a quick list of the 11 best oyster knives you can use if you’re looking to skip the restaurant line (and fees!) and plan on enjoying some oysters at home.
Top 10 Best Oyster Knives For Shucking
1. OXO 35681 Good Grips Oyster KnifeCheck Today's Price
With 30 years of experience in making cooking utensils, OXO knows all about the minor improvements that you need to elevate your food prep. In contrast to the heavier design of the Wusthof or the elongated blade of the Victorinox, the Good Grips Oyster knife is simple, cost-effective, and gets the job done.
The super-strong steel blade has a bent tip that can easily pry open any oyster shell, while the silicone non-slip handle makes sure that you keep your grip, even if your hands are wet. This is handy if you’re shucking a large number of oysters at once since it prevents the knife from flying out of your hands.
You also don’t have to do much to use and maintain this oyster knife. The small blade and handle mean that you don’t need to exert a lot of force when using it, and the sturdy materials ensure that it’s dishwasher safe (though we recommend hand-washing for best results).
As an affordable purchase for anyone who loves oysters, few knives can perform better than this one.
- Reinforced stainless steel blade can penetrate and split most oyster shells
- Shaped handle secures knife firmly in place while shucking
- Backed by the OXO Better Guarantee for refunds or replacements
2. WENDOM Oyster Knife Shucker SetCheck Today's Price
With years of background in crafting kitchenware and other appliances, WENDOM has quickly established itself as a budget-friendly alternative to most kitchenware brands. Like Rockland Guard, you also get a cut-resistant glove with your purchase: only you get a pair of gloves and two knives instead of one!
The blade itself is made of top-quality stainless steel, so it resists stains and rust even with prolonged use. Professionally sharpened for a razor-thin edge, it quickly slides between oysters while leaving enough wiggle room for you to crack open the shell.
The cut-resistant gloves combined with the small hilt guard helps you safely shuck oysters. The longer handle enables you to grip the knife easier, and the plastic coating is easier to wipe down and wash. Rubber coats may give you more grip, but they need thorough scrubbing to clean properly.
If you’ve ever wanted more bang for your buck when buying oyster shucking sets, then this is the product for you.
- 3CR13 stainless steel blade is curved to a razor-sharp tip for more penetrating power
- The blade is only sharpened on edges pointing towards the oyster
- WENDOM guarantee provides refund or replacement in case of defects
3. Rockland Guard Oyster Shucking SetCheck Today's Price
Rockland Guard hasn’t been in the business that long, but they’ve quickly distinguished themselves by their focus on well-crafted kitchenware that combines design and function. Their Oyster Shucking Set is a marvelous example of this, blending safety and utility in one purchase.
The oyster knife itself is optimized to handle excessive use and goes through hundreds of oysters with no noticeable dip in performance. Unlike OXO knives, the additional length allows it to pop into hinges easily while spilling no liquid, with a rigid tip for better shell penetration.
Included are the EN388 Level 5 cut-resistant gloves, which are some of the best cut-proof gloves commercially available right now. You don’t have to worry about cutting yourself during shucking since the gloves provide an additional grip on the handle. They’re also dishwasher safe for easier maintenance.
These features make this product an excellent fit for anyone wary of getting their hands cut while preparing oysters.
- 3.5” inch stainless steel blade is extra-long for more piercing power
- Non-slip rounded grip ensures that it doesn’t slide off your hand in wet conditions
- Beveled steel blade slides between large oysters without resistance
4. Dexter-Russell (S121PCP) – 2.75″ New Haven Style Oyster Knife (Sani-Safe Series)Check Today's Price
The oldest and largest cutlery manufacturer in the United States, the Dexter-Russel brand is a trusted name in kitchens all over the country. Their New Haven Style Oyster knife is specially designed for safe seafood preparation, which makes it an ideal fit for seafood restaurants.
Two things set this apart from other oyster knives. The first is its New Haven-style blade tip! If you’re fond of using the classic hinge method to open shellfish, this design works well because it helps you get the oyster meat out without accidentally skewering it to piece
The second is the Sani-Care feature, which is a blade-to-handle seal that prevents cross-contamination. This can make cooking for people with specific seafood allergies much easier, something that unsealed blades like the Opinel can’t do. It can withstand high and low temperatures and can be cleaned by hand or dishwasher.
Even if it’s favored by veteran seafood preppers, the design and features mean even the casual cook should find success when using it.
- 2.75” inch DEXSTEEL high-carbon and high-alloy blade is stain-resistant and rust-proof
- Hard plastic handle encloses the full tang knife blade for a comfortable grip
- Slightly curved tip is excellent for severing the adductor on the top shell
5. Victorinox 7.6399 X1 Oyster KnifeCheck Today's Price
As the original manufacturer of the iconic Swiss Army Knife, Victorinox knows a thing or two about quality cutlery. The 7.6399 X1 Oyster Knife has been specially designed for shucking oysters, and it works great on small to medium-sized Atlantic, Pacific, Kumamoto, and Olympia oysters.
With a slender high-carbon blade tip, it has excellent edge retention as it slides cleanly into the shell. The rubber-coated non-slip handle gives you a better grip and rests snugly in your palm. While the rubber grip deviates from their usual polypropylene/plastic handle, it also functions as a handling and safety feature.
Unlike single-bladed oyster knives such as the Opinel, this model comes in different blade styles and sizes. This makes it one of the most versatile oyster shucking tools since you have three knife blades to choose from. It doesn’t flex or bend with repeated use, and it can be easily filed back to a razor-sharp point if it dulls.
With the high-quality craftsmanship and the array of blade options, this is the overall best oyster shucking knife that any seafood lover can buy.
- 3 to 4” inch high carbon steel blades resist chipping and staining
- Choose from New Haven, Providence, or Boston-style blades
- Water-proof and dishwasher safe
6. ZYLISS Oyster Tool and Knife SetCheck Today's Price
Solidly constructed with a practical design, everyday chefs all around the world favor this elegant Swiss knife set.
The curved design is unique among oyster knives, with a shortened Boston-style blade tip and a stabilizing thumb guard rest. The sharp edge that quickly penetrates most shells and works well with most shucking techniques. Compared to pear handles like OXO, this knife is more secure to grip when shucking larger oysters.
The included oyster pocket makes shucking extremely safe since the silicone pocket prevents your hand from being cut and allows you to put your entire weight on the oyster without it slipping off. Purchasing this product removes the need for getting a cut-resistant glove like the WENDOM, or a hilt guard like the Wusthof.
If you need to prepare large batches of seafood safely and efficiently, this is the toolset for you.
- Stainless steel Boston-style blade can be used on most oysters
- 100% dishwasher safe
- 5-Year ZYLISS guarantee for refunds, defects, or replacements
7. Rockland Guard Oyster Knife Shucker with Non-Slip Easy To Grip HandleCheck Today's Price
Rockland Guard is a company well-known for its high-quality knife sets. This shucker knife is perfect for the budget-conscious seafood fan, since you get a reliable oyster knife at a lower price point, unlike the more expensive Wusthof.
Crafted from some of the best quality stainless steel, these oyster knives don’t bend with use. Their rigid and wide profile helps you separate shells effectively, aside from being resistant to water and salt. The small handle rests comfortably in the palm of your hand, giving you more torque to get the knife inside stubborn oysters.
Because of the short blade, you significantly reduce the risk of it snapping or bending during use. While models such as the Victorinox that can snap or chip if mishandled, each Rockland oyster knife can take a lot of punishment.
If you want to get the best deal on getting a reliable oyster shucker toolset, then this is the product for you.
- 420-stainless high carbon steel blade has an upturned tip to pry oyster hinges open
- Rubberized and textured handle is slip-resistant and dishwasher safe
- 30-day refund seller guarantee for any defective knife
8. Opinel No.09 Stainless Steel Folding Oyster KnifeCheck Today's Price
Drawing inspiration from France’s oystermen, the Opinel No.09 is a classic oyster knife infused with modern improvements. Like the classic Opinel No.08 Folding Knife, this model neatly folds away when not in use, and is explicitly designed to take on shellfish.
The knife is short and robust since only one side tip is sharpened for better penetration between tightly clamped oysters. A pair of Virobloc safety rings ensure that the blades stay in place folded or unfolded, a safety feature that is common in all folding knives but almost unheard of in an oyster knife.
Since the blade folds back into the handle, proper technique is necessary when using this shucker. When opening shells, hold the base of the blade instead of the handle to avoid pressure on the knife hinge. This reduces the strain on the blade itself and prevents it from breaking off at its hinges.
With an excellent blend of form and function, this beautiful tool is one of the best oyster knives for travelers and adventurers.
- 3.35” inch Sandvik 12C27 modified stainless steel for extra strength and solidity
- Padouk wooden handle is water-resistant and dense
- Opinel guarantee allows return and exchange in case of defects
9. Melocean Oyster Shucking Knife, Set of 2Check Today's Price
One of the newer entrants in the world of cutlery, Melocean, has made a big splash with its combination of both style and function. Designed for the experienced oyster connoisseur, this Oyster Shucking Knife Set is a great seafood prep tool due to its reinforced yet lightweight construction.
The full-tang blades get thicker the further they are from the sharp side, helping you twist open oysters without damaging the blade. The wooden handle is carved from solid French wood, with reinforcing rivets that prevent the knife from wiggling or bending with regular use.
Unlike the Dexter-Russel oyster knife, the full-tang blades give this model exceptional strength and durability. It’s specially designed for side-entry shucking, with blunt edges that prevent you from accidentally cutting yourself while using it.
If you want a tool that’s specifically made for an expert shucker, then this knife set is the companion for you.
- Precision-sharpened 2.5” inch 3cr13 German stainless steel has additional penetrating power
- You can use it on other shellfish such as clams and bigger oysters like Pacific type
- Lifetime warranty provided for service, replacement, and repairs
10. Toadfish Coastal Kitchen CollectionCheck Today's Price
Toadfish Outfitters is an eco-friendly company that manufactures the highest-quality cutlery for the serious seafood gourmet. Like the Crab and Lobster set, the Coastal Kitchen Collection is a premium seafood preparation set for the seafood-obsessed cook.
You can use the oyster shucking tool for raw and steamed oysters since the blade-through design stabilizes the oyster knife for shucking. The knife tip is slightly bent to offer you more leverage and provides the best results if you use these on small-to-medium-sized shellfish.
This is the perfect kit if you’ve ever wanted to cook an entire shellfish buffet with a single cutlery set. It has everything you require to shuck oysters, crack crabs, and devein shrimp. Unlike single knives such as the Victorinox, the additional tools here give you a lot more leeway when it comes to food variety and prep.
This set is a definite must-have for anyone who likes to eat their freshly-caught shellfish immediately.
- 3” inch Japanese-made stainless steel blades resist rust and are easy to clean
- Thumb-print handle design allows for a steady and secure grip
- Custom engraving makes this set suitable for gifts and other special occasions
11. Wusthof 4281 Classic Oyster Knife
Hailing from the “Cutlery Capital of the World,” the German-made Wusthof 4281 Classic Oyster Knife is a wonderful example of modern engineering. Compared to the long and tapered Wusthof 4282, this is a tool well-suited for beginners learning the basics of oyster shucking.
The blade-to-handle ratio is long enough to get the hang of maneuvering an oyster knife, with a heft that doesn’t take a lot of effort to swing around. The full tang high carbon blade is almost impervious to being nicked or scratched, which improves the knife’s longevity.
An extra-wide hilt guard works in two ways: as a useful feature to prevent yourself from being cut by the oyster shell while shucking, and to prevent damage to the oyster itself if too much force is applied. This makes the best oyster knife for amateurs to train with.
Combined with a padded pair of gloves and a good cutting board, any amateur can learn how to shuck like a pro in no time.
- 2.5” inch X50CrMoV15 steel is laser cut for better edge retention
- Compression-riveted synthetic handles attach to the blade for a stronger grip
- The straight and wide blade is ideal for medium-sized oysters
Based on our analysis, we found that the Victorinox Oyster Knife is the best oyster knife that anyone can use. But all of the knives on our list are outstanding in their ways! Whichever you choose, you can always rely on these knives to safely shuck your oysters for a delicious meal.