In the right amounts, garlic can add a touch of brilliance to your recipes. However, peeling them manually is time-consuming and will leave you with stinky hands. The other alternative is pressing them with your knife, however, this usually leaves you with crushed cloves.
Fortunately, there is a third option – you can use a garlic peeler to make the process easier. In this guide, we take a look at the market offerings in search of the best garlic peeler available.
Top 10 Garlic Peelers of 2021
1. Zak Designs Silicone Garlic Peeler
This peeler comes from Zak Designs, a Washington-based manufacturer of dinner and drinkware founded in 1976. Originally making products geared for children’s mealtime, Zak has since expanded to cater to teens and adults.
Made out of silicone, this tool can help peel your garlic in a matter of seconds. All you need to do is put your cloves in the tube and press down firmly while rolling the tool until you hear crunching to separate the skin from the cloves.
To keep this silicone tube roller clean, be sure that you rinse it after use before sliding it back into the drawer. Or if you find yourself too busy to wash your kitchen gadgets individually, all you need to do is place it in a dishwasher!
When you use this tool, the garlic skin usually falls out from the tube with the clove itself. However, there may be times when it gets stuck inside the silicone peeler. To remove it, all you need to do is shake it out.
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use solution, look no further than the Zak Designs Silicone Garlic Peeler!
- This silicone peeler will help keep your hands free from smelling like garlic.
- Measuring only 5 inches long, this silicone peeler is very small and easy to store.
- To ensure safety for you and your children, this tool is BPA-free.
2. OXO Good Grips Silicone Garlic Peeler
This entry into our list is made by OXO, a New York-based manufacturer of kitchen wares that take pride in their ergonomic approach to kitchen appliances.
Using this silicone garlic skin remover is very easy. Similar to the Zak Designs peeler, it’s as simple as placing the clove into the tube and rolling it with a firm downward press. As soon as you hear crunching, you’ll have peeled garlic ready to go!
Another huge benefit of this garlic peeler is that it’s easy to care for. All you need to do after use is place it in the top rack dishwasher since this tool is dishwasher-safe. Or if you prefer, you can give it a quick rinse by hand.
One thing to keep in mind using this peeler is that on thicker variants of garlic, you might need extra effort to peel all of its skin.
With its low price tag, simplicity of use, and ease to take care of, this is an excellent choice for peeling garlic.
- This silicone garlic peeler comes with a plastic box for easier and safer storage.
- This peeler’s unique shape will ensure that your garlic clove stays inside during use.
- OXO will donate 1% of the proceeds from their product sales to support environmental causes.
3. Maxracy Silicone Garlic Peeler
This product is offered by Maxracy, a company that provides products to help around the kitchen. Made out of durable silicone, this tool offers an easy solution to peel your garlic.
To use this peeler properly, you place the clove into the tube and press down while rolling it back and forth. Next, you should tip the product and the peeled cloves will fall out.
After use, you can rinse this tool under running water and leave it out to dry. Alternatively, you can place it in a dishwasher.
One of the best features of this tool is that the space is large enough to put in multiple cloves, although you shouldn’t place an entire large bulb in it.
Depending on the garlic, you’ll also need to vary your hand pressure to remove the skin properly. Some will peel with the slightest pressure, some others will need you to press down hard.
Sold in two-packs at a very affordable price tag, the Maxracy Silicone Garlic Peeler can be one of the cheapest options for your peeling needs!
- The silicon material of this tool has mold-resistant properties.
- By using this silicone peeler, you can stop getting stinky hands after peeling garlic manually.
- This peeler is FDA-certified, so your safety is guaranteed.
4. ZYLISS Garlic Peeler
This tool is offered by Swiss company Zyliss, a kitchen gadget manufacturer that aims to delight the customers who use their products. With more than 60 years of experience, Zyliss is a brand respected by home cooks and gourmet chefs alike.
This silicone garlic peeler is very easy to use. All you need to do is place the clove inside the tube and press down while rolling the tool back and forth. To prevent slipping, your countertop should be kept dry.
The size of this tool also helps you insert multiple cloves inside, allowing you to peel garlic quicker.
Although it’s originally meant to keep the peel and cloves from falling out, the bumps on the inside of this tool may make it harder to insert odd-shaped garlic pieces. To counteract this, you can reverse the product and have the smooth side in, eliminating this issue.
With a very, very low price and boasting a 5-year guarantee, the Zyliss Garlic Peeler will help you save lots of time in the kitchen.
- The tool’s size makes it ideal for cleaning both small and large garlic cloves.
- For easy care, this peeler only needs a hand wash with soapy water after use.
- This product is very lightweight, weighing in at only 0.08 pounds.
5. Prepworks By Progressive Garlic Peeler
Washington-based Progressive has over 40 years of experience in innovating kitchen tools that inspire creativity. They are also known for offering functional products with stylish designs, and this silicone peeler is no exception.
This product is made very easy to use. To operate this tool, you load in 1-3 garlic cloves into the silicone tube and then roll it on the table, making sure to press down on it so the skin separates.
Buyers should keep in mind that its size might make it more challenging to peel larger garlic cloves.
Boasting simplicity of operation and a striking design, the Prepworks By Progressive Garlic Peeler can be your go-to solution for your garlic-peeling needs.
- This tool features a hard nylon tip that helps you remove garlic cloves from the bulb so you can peel them easier.
- This peeler features tapered ends so you can load and remove garlic cloves easier.
- For easy care and cleaning, this peeler is dishwasher-safe.
6. Johouse Silicone Garlic Roller Peeling Tube
This silicone garlic peeler comes from Johouse, a brand that sells kitchen tools, decorations, housewares, and other consumer products on Amazon.
Like most other products of its type, you use this peeler by placing your cloves inside the silicone tube and starting to roll it back and forth while applying pressure. Once you’ve done this, you tip the tool over to retrieve the peeled garlic.
To help you place garlic inside, this tool features tapered ends so it can catch the cloves easier. For ease of cleaning, this product is also dishwasher-safe!
Sold in sets of three at a very affordable price, the Johouse Silicone Garlic Roller Peeling Tube can be a very valuable tool if you cook with garlic regularly.
- This garlic roller features a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied with it.
- For easy storage, this product includes a hole at the end of the handle so you can hang it in your kitchen.
- The silicone surface will not leak any odors or chemicals into your cloves.
7. Sinnsally Garlic Skin Remover
This garlic peeler is offered by Chinese-based Sinnsally, a company that provides affordable kitchen wares on Amazon.
Made out of food-grade silicone, this product features a very easy way to peel garlic – just place the cloves inside the tube, press down firmly, and roll it back and forth. You’ll have a peeled clove in no time at all.
Due to its design, you don’t need to scrape the peeled cloves like you would with other tools. Just tip the silicone tube over and your clove will fall out on its own.
While this silicone garlic peeler doesn’t have a box for storage like the OXO Good Grips Peeler, this product can be stored by hanging it by the provided hole.
With its affordable price tag and 3-in-1 pack, the Sinnsally Garlic Skin Remover is a cheap, effective solution for garlic peeling!
- This tool features internal wave points on the inside to facilitate easier peeling.
- The size of these peelers allows it to accommodate bigger cloves.
- You can easily remove leftover skin from these garlic peelers by rinsing in warm water.
8. Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler – Recommended by America’s Test Kitchen
This item comes from Kuhn Rikon, a Swiss company founded in 1926 that specializes in innovative food preparation products.
Featuring a carbon steel blade, this peeler provides an easy way to remove the skin from your garlic by simply running this tool over it. Used correctly, you’ll have peeled cloves in seconds.
Weighing in at only 1.6 ounces, this garlic clove peeler is very lightweight and its versatile design also makes it easy to use whether you’re right-handed or left-handed.
The sharp carbon steel blade will stay sharp for a long time, but to keep it in tip-top shape remember to always hand wash and dry it with a towel immediately after use. This prevents the tool from dulling or developing rust.
In addition to cleaning, another way to prevent this tool’s blade from rusting is by blowing it with a blowdryer or dab a bit of rubbing alcohol after use.
Due to this tool’s sharpness, we recommend that you keep this product away from children to prevent any accidents.
With its affordable price and unmatched performance, the Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler soars above its competitors.
- These peelers come in a set of 3 at a very affordable price.
- This product features several bright and attractive color variants.
- In addition to being a great garlic and potato peeler, this tool also features a potato eye remover.
Having a peeler handy will help you save time and will prevent stinky hands. Ideally, the best garlic peeler should be easy to use, easy to clean, durable, and effective. With that said, here are our picks:
Thanks to its versatility and ease of use, the Kuhn Rikon Garlic Peeler tops our list. Its lightweight and ergonomic design, as well as its ability to peel other foods, makes it our favorite.
Coming in at a very close second is the Zak Designs Silicone Garlic Peeler thanks to its affordability and portability.